The Government’s response to the Productivity Commission’s Inquiry into Data Availability & Use is now available, one year after the Productivity Commission (PC) released its 658-page final report.
Flying Blind 2
Flying Blind 2 offers a way forward with a series of recommendations to enhance health and medical research in Australia, saving lives and saving dollars. The report proposes:
- A harmonised process of data governance that provides a path from collection to researchers, and that ensures privacy and confidentiality are maintained
- Appointing organisations to act as data holding organisations for both structured and unstructured data
- Creating Accredited Release Agencies to build data collections suitable for research
- Privacy, Security, Confidentiality by Design
- Publicly accessible protocols so that all Australians can see how health data is used, and how it is making a difference.
- A single national data rich access point for researchers, that would also benefit the healthcare and health technology sectors.